In the High Peaks
















Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday Evening Thoughts

I'm grateful for my eight Followers, and I can't wait to learn more about the Follower program. I vow to post a true book blog entry tomorrow. For this evening, this post is all I've got.

I am aggrieved (sp.?) that I have but a few minutes to post an entry. A crazy day, but yesterday was much, much crazier. A truly Manic Monday. But in early September, my life changes.

Today I escaped to SUNY (State University of New York) Adirondack, where I'll be teaching writing to first-year students this fall (September-Christmas). I'm extremely excited about it and, as a lifetime writer, I feel a tremendous sense of mission. I'm sure you don't want to hear about all the books about the teaching of writing that I picked up!

In a few minutes Ken and I will have a relaxing dinner with warm, comforting friends at Trapper's Tavern and I'll have an opportunity to reflect on what's most important. Rick is a Richard Russo fan (as is Ken, my husband) and Anne is a 100% Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Mystery afficiando. I always enjoy her take on books and movies because she always sees the mystical bend of things. I seem to only see what's in front of my face.

4 comments:

  1. Howdy! Found your blog via the Hop. I'm Number 9, as in a new follower. Looking forward to following your blog.

    My book blog URL in case you want to check it out: http://www.primoreads.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great night out. I wish I had a 'Beam me up,Scottie.'transporter so that we could join you! Jack is a huge S.F. fan and writer, with one novel and lots of short stories published.
    I hope that your new job leads to even more work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrina,
    How I wish you'd been there! You would find our friends Anne and Rick a lot of fun. Anne has a very close friend who lives in Scotland and she can't wait to visit. I know you two would hit it off!

    Next time you come to the U.S., you will have to drive north of NYC and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I'm Jack, Katrina's husband (from piningforthewest). She mentioned you'd enquired about my writing.
    I write fiction under the name Jack Deighton (after my grandfather.)
    I've only ever been published in the UK - one novel, which came out in 1997, plus short stories in various books and magazines - so stuff might be difficult to get in the US, though the book is available second hand on amazon or from my blog (but if you were interested in it amazon might be easier in postal terms.)

    There is a sample of my shorter fiction and an extract from the novel on the Infinity plus website (whose url is http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/).

    There is more information on the "About Me" page on my blog - which is first on Katrina's side bar and is called A Son Of The Rock, partly after the book but mostly due to the town where I grew up. (Or you can find it at jackdeighton.co.uk.)
    The blog is not only about books and writing but also covers football (soccer,) architecture and 1960s music.

    ReplyDelete