In the High Peaks
















Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Julia Spencer-Fleming


How I loved reading In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming! So well done. I know I read it in 2011, but was it during the winter season? I can't recall. But it's a mystery that must be read IF you want a male and a female protagonist with fully developed, inspiring characters. It's also a book for people who like a mystery to have a genuine SETTING with ATMOSPHERE.


So now, perhaps more than a year later, I'm reading the second novel in the series featuring Clare, the Episcopal minister and former US Army helicopter pilot, and Russ, the caring, sensitive Chief of Police. This one, like In the Bleak Midwinter, is super-cheap on the Nook or Kindle. It's entitled A Fountain Filled with Blood. I'm just getting started with it.

I ordered two works of German literature in translation today. I'm looking forward to writing about them. One of them, by Julia Franck, has one title in Germany, another in the UK, and another in the US. Really! I object to publishers messing around with the titles of books in translation, especially when the titles go so far afield from the original.

3 comments:

  1. I discovered this series last year, and really enjoyed the books I read. I still have a couple of books to read, and I can't wait to see what happens, but I also don't want to be all caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me of this author. Keishon at Yet Another Crime Fiction blog highly recommends this author, but I haven't got around to reading her yet. I am not a fan of romantic fiction but clearly should give this author a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS could not agree more on titles, it is a disgrace. Sometimes publishers do it even for a book in the same country, eg between HB and PB a Camilla Lackberg has been re-titled in the UK, and a Karin Altvegen has just been reissued in the UK by a different title than the previous (also) UK title.

    There should be a law about it!

    ReplyDelete