In the High Peaks
















Saturday, April 13, 2013

Being Forced to Read is Good and Mons Kallentoft

Three weeks of classes and then exams. The end of the semester always keeps me on edge and jittery and making no progress with my reading.

Even though I know how reading calms me, even though I emphasize it as a priority in my daily life, when the big whirl comes, I sometimes can't stop myself long enough to sit down, read, and calm down.

But late this afternoon I literally forced myself to march to the green couch, light the fire, sip my freshly brewed cup of Darjeeling, and pick up what I believe is the first volume in the Swedish writer Mons Kallentoft's police thriller series, Midwinter Blood or Midvinterblod. (I prefer the latter title.) The novel was originally published in Sweden in 2007, then in 2011 in England as Midwinter Sacrifice with the translation by Neil Smith, and not until 2012 in the U.S.

[About lighting the fire: We had an ice storm yesterday and temps are in the 30s--the ground is covered with two inches of ice. I was hoping for some sun time, but we've had none for days.]

I've only read 60 pages at this point, so I'll only say that I appreciate that the writing is not overly complex. My brain can't unravel much complexity for the next four weeks. So I'm off and running with it. I immediately identified with Malin Fors, the 34-year-old superintendent who is a separated single mom with a 13-year-old daughter. She's troubled, very gutsy, and smart. I love the troubled part.

If you've read Kallentoft, what do you think of his work?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Judith - I've just reviewed book 4 and he is one of my favourites. I think that it's perfect that you're reading this in an ice storm. I'll look forward to your review.

    I appreciate what you mean about stress and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ve not read any been on verge of radar for a while ,I like it when you click with the main detective it makes you want find out more ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete