In the High Peaks
















Thursday, March 27, 2014

Dealing with Utter Blog Neglect and The Ivy Tree

In truth, what I'm dealing with is what I'm hoping will be a temporary divergence from reading for pleasure. I do read before bed for about a half hour, but that's nothing compared to my January and February reading.

 I became immersed in several projects this month, during this so very long month of waiting for spring in the North Country, where we have continued to have near zero and zero nighttime temperatures. But the sun! The glorious sun warms the house in the afternoons. This weekend and next week we will be boasting about temperatures in the 40s. I pray we don't become too warm too soon, so that we can have our multi-feet of snow melt gracefully.

I'm nearing the end of The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart. I was perplexed with the characters at first, and I'm still at sea with Mary Grey who is posing as Annabel Winslow, one of the likely heirs to Whitescar in Northumberland. It is summer there now, which is lovely. I am enjoying it, though I have been scratching my head over all the characters who remain elusive, even at this late point of the novel. There's Con, the cousin, who is determined to inherit the estate,  his sister Lisa the housekeeper, Adam Forrest on the neighboring estate, Lisa (Annabel's cousin and another likely inheritor), and Mary Grey herself posing as Annabel. Who is Mary Grey, anyway? Have you read this book? What were your thoughts? Yes, I recommend it wholeheartedly, though you'll be perplexed the entire time!





2 comments:

  1. Judith, I read The Ivy Tree a while ago you can read what I thought of it http://piningforthewest.co.uk/2012/03/26/the-ivy-tree-by-mary-stewart/. I also read the Josephine Tey book which gave her the idea Brat Farrar, I don't think it's one of her best. I'm stuck in removal hell, tripping over boxes everywhere, but by the weekend we will at least be in our new house. Let me know when you are starting to read the Barbara Pym book, is it An Unsuitable Attachment which we decided to read together? It's still cold here but at least there is no haar today (sea fog).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina,
      I can scarcely believe it! By this weekend in your new home! How wonderful--you're in the last stretch at last!
      Keep in touch about how you're settling and we'll read it whenever you feel it's the right time.
      Oh, I do hate the spring sea fog! How well I remember that from all of our spring visits on Peaks Island, which is off the coast of Maine. Oh, those foghorns!
      Wishing you the best this week of all weeks!
      Judith

      Delete